Maria Sharapova   Sexy Maria Sharapova Photos   Maria Sharapova Bikini Pictures   Maria Sharapova Fashion Model


Sunday, February 06, 2005

Maria Beats Davenport in Tokyo Final

Reigning Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova beat No. 1 Lindsay Davenport 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (5) in the Pan Pacific Open final Sunday and will move up to a career-high third in the WTA Tour rankings. Sharapova prevented Davenport from winning a record fifth title at the indoor tournament. Davenport, who lost to Serena Williams in the Australian Open final last weekend, hit 13 aces against Sharapova but needed a medical timeout after the first set because of a sore left thigh.


Maria Sharapova



"I'm very happy to have won," said Sharapova, who had nine aces. "Lindsay played an amazing match and it all came down to the tiebreaker, so obviously it was a very tough match." She will move past Amelie Mauresmo in Monday's new rankings and jump from No. 4 to No. 3, trailing only Davenport and Williams. "My job is to go out and perform well," Sharapova said. "I have no timetable to become No. 1 in the world. If it happens, it happens." On match point Sunday, she smacked a forehand down the line that Davenport couldn't catch up to. "I left the court to get some support on my left thigh. I just went back out there and tried to keep the points as short as possible," Davenport said. "In the tiebreaker, she came up with some great shots and I couldn't run down many balls."
Sharapova, who lost in the semifinals of the Australian Open to Williams, collected a $189,000 winner's check.
"I served well in the first set," the 17-year-old Russian said. "But she came out after the break and got a little confidence. It's tough when your opponent serves so well. I served well, too, but it was my return that I was most satisfied with."

2 Comments:

At 24/2/05 01:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when Maria styles her hair it doesn't look good.

 
At 25/2/05 02:42, Blogger guest said...

Yes, i agree with you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


Love  Frogs